Reports to: Principal Engineer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Dukani Digital is a growing company bursting with innovation, creativity and passion. Dukani is an eCommerce marketplace offering household and general everyday commodities in bulk. For consumers, we're solving the challenge of accessing their preferred brands of consumables by
offering a wide variety of goods at a significantly lower price per unit delivered right to their doorstep, while for manufacturers, we're solving the challenge of marketing and distributing their products to a largely under-served online market
About the Role
This role includes the following responsibilities:
● Write and maintain secure, scaleable, efficient code for the Dukani’s platforms
● Deploy your code on Kubernetes in our AWS Cloud Servers (sometimes multiple times a day)
● Build and maintain operational visibility Dashboards to monitor your components
● Learn and share expertise with teammates through code reviews and other avenues
● Guide team members in security minded development and best practices
● Research and propose new approaches to work, new tools, and new best practices for the team
● Work with design and engineering team members to build features from concept through implementation
● Implement automated tests to ensure fulfillment of business and functional requirements
● Participate in the creation of automated test frameworks for use by software engineers and quality assurance engineers to assist with automated test coverage
● Mentor less experienced members of the team
● Coordinate with software engineers and product managers to identify automation needs early in the software development lifecycle
● Integrate with assigned product development team and participate in cross-functional collaborations
● Investigate and onboard new technologies onto our technology stack
Why We want You
● You have experience developing new and enhancing existing features as well as investigating and resolving defects
● You build scalable and distributed microservices architecture using following: Spring Framework, Spring Boot, Node.js, Hibernate, RESTful Web services, build tools such as
Gradle and Maven, conduct test automation using JUnit test framework, and Web Service and API testing using SoapUI, and Postman/Newman.
● You are proficient with version control systems including Git-based repository (GitLab/GitHub/Bitbucket)
● You adhere to internal coding standards, development processes and design best practices
● You have experience with deploying software in Docker Containers and running on Kubernetes
● You have experience with SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL datastore such as MongoDB
● You have experience with distributed streaming event platforms like Kafka.
● You are a security minded developer and advocate with experience using commercial enterprise automated security testing/analysis tools such as Black Duck, Fortify and Burp suite is a plus.
● You have experience developing secure multi-tenant enterprise applications.
● You have exposure to or interest in AI/ML/Analytics
● You ensure quality by performing thorough testing and leveraging peer reviews for your work and the work of others.
● You help scope, estimate and prioritize work.
● You care about how your work and attitude affects those around you. I mean really care.
Everything you do runs through this filter.
● You like to experiment: you’re comfortable with trying things, occasionally failing, and trying something else.
● You like to learn new technologies and use them in the real world.
● You are self-motivated. You will need to have your self-motivation kicked into high gear.
● You are experienced working with a remote team. We use Slack, Whereby, Google Meet, JIRA and other technologies to make this as painless as possible.
● You have experience solving problems in production
Skills And Qualifications
● BS / Master’s in computer engineering, computer science or other related technical field
● 2-5 years of professional software engineering experience with one or more general
● Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed
● The ability to learn by doing and a desire to learn new concepts and solve problems
● Familiarity developing, managing, and monitoring highly-available and distributed software
● Familiarity with Kubernetes, ElasticSearch and/or Kafka is a plus (If you have all 3: we definitely want you!)
● You have experience with in-house data centers as well as cloud computing platforms - AWS/Azure/GCP. AWS preferred.
● You have some experience maintaining software systems that have been in production for a long time and you have worked through triaging, identifying and fixing production
● Willingness to jump in and use unfamiliar technologies to help any engineering team should the need arise
Career Growth + Compensation
Dukani Digital invests in building the capacity and skills within our team. We will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship from the management team.
Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for those who are ready to take up the challenge.
To apply, please send your portfolio, cover letter and resume quoting the job title as the subject of the email.