Location Medair Global ITS Team Nairobi, Kenya. The role is open for applicants based in Kenya – a valid work permit is required for this destination. This is a Global Team position, with up to 12 weeks in the field in a year.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months
Monitor security systems, analyse data/logs and detect security incidents. Further, to investigate new technologies and processes to enhance Medair’s cyber security capabilities and implement these improvements.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
The ITS Department develops a stable and standardised ICT infrastructure in the GSO and Medair’s field locations, following the ITS Strategy and Roadmap. As a Cyber Security Engineer, you are part of the ITS team; you work closely with the information and infrastructure domains, both at GSO as well as with different field teams located in different regions.
- Apply system security engineering principles to deliver real solutions to enhance the protection of data, systems, and networks.
- Design and implement Risk Management Framework (RMF)-based policies and procedures, and develop comprehensive cyber security processes.
- Update, sustain and administer a high level of security for in-house security infrastructure.
- Partake in change processes; review technical designs, system integrations, develop test-cases, and document this work.
- Design network security architecture and develop detailed cyber security designs.
- Work with Security Advisor on non-cyber security related incidents, plans and systems.
- Troubleshooting cyber security and network problems.
- Daily administrative tasks, reporting and communication with the relevant departments in the organisation.
- Testing and identifying network and system vulnerabilities.
- Ensure that the organisation knows as much as possible, as quickly as possible about security incidents.
- Develop cyber security awareness campaigns. Develop, manage, and maintain training material.
- Train users on the spot when an incident happens and colleagues on new developments.
- Working in a rapidly changing context, stay on top of new developments and innovative threats and opportunities.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor or Master in Computer Science/Engineering or related field.
- Additional certification: CompTIA Linux+, CompTIA Security, CompTIA CASP.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- At least two years of working experience in a similar role.
- Understanding and demonstrated skills in the cyber security domain.
- Strong client and server skills.
- Strong computer network skills.
- Expert knowledge on Firewalls, Intrusion Detection and Prevention, DNS, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols.
- Knowledge in network security design, network security architecture, network topology, and a strong understanding of TCP/IP protocols.
- Knowledge of best practices to investigate intrusions, preserve evidence and coordinate a unified security response.
- Advanced planning, coordination, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Self-propelled person that likes to work. Willingness to work for the mission of Medair.
- Challenging others and open to being challenged in return.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and resilient team player with a positive
- Can-do attitude when tackling day-to-day tasks.