Only applications received via BrighterMonday will be considered. Any phone calls, emails or other types of canvassing may lead to your application being disqualified.
Please do not apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements set out below.
Responsible to: Country Director Kenya
Location: Lodwar, Kenya
Contract Type – Permanent & pensionable with 6 months’ probation period
Starting Salary - KES. 306,499.35.
Country Director, Kenya
Mary’s Meals Kenya Staff
MMI Finance team
MMI IT & Ops team
MMI Programmes team
Finance & Operations
Officer, Logistics Officer & Transport Administrator
Head of Finance & Operations – Job Description
That every child receives one daily meal in their place of education and that all those who have more than they need, share with those who lack even the most basic things.
To enable people to offer their money, goods, skills, time, or prayer, and through this involvement, provide the most effective help to those suffering the effects of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest communities.
Confidence in the innate goodness of people – respect the dignity of every human being and family life – good stewardship of resources entrusted to us.
• To lead the finance and operations function providing leadership and management to staff.
• To develop, implement and maintain robust systems of internal control which ensure good stewardship of Organization’ resources, both financial and non-financial.
• To be part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), and to assist the Country Director in the management of the country programme by ensuring Finance and Operations delivers efficient and effective support.
• Support the Country Director to ensure that the Organization Kenyan programme is accredited and compliant with all legal requirements, in cooperation with the appropriate line Ministries.
• Conduct regular visits to schools throughout the Kenya programme to ensure compliance to systems and processes and adherence to best practice.
• To directly manage the Finance & Operations Officer, Transport Administrator and Logistics Officer.
• To ensure finance and operations staff are managed in a pro-active and supportive manner to encourage high standards and best practice in all aspects of programme delivery.
• Lead, coach and mentor Finance and Operations Team in their respective functions to maintain high standards and to ensure close and supportive supervision of staff.
• Assist in the management of Human Resource related emerging issues including assisting with disciplinary action, when appropriate and required, in conjunction with the HR & Administration Manager and the Country Director.
• To ensure the overall financial management of the Kenya programme meets the highest standards
• To lead, advise and support the finance team in the management of the organizational budget, cash flow, payables, and receivables.
• To ensure effective and consistent implementation of financial and accounting policies and procedures.
• To develop and implement best practice finance and administrative systems, in consultation with the Organization International Finance team.
• To serve as primary financial liaison with the Organization International.
• To pro-actively advise on general financial matters or financial risks to the Country Director.
• To ensure there are monthly reports produced accurately and to the time plan agreed.
• To ensure that the year-end, accounts are finalized, and the statement of accounts is prepared.
• To oversee the annual audit process, including preparation of all audit deliverables.
• To ensure timely provision of financial information to the Organization International Finance team as part of the year end consolidation process.
• To review and submit routine management and donor reports.
• To oversee the management of the fixed asset register
Budgeting & Forecasting
• To ensure the finance team prepares the annual budget and periodic forecasts in consultation with the Country Director and the Organization International finance team.
• To ensure that budgets & forecasts are prepared in a timely manner, overseeing the detailed review process and, where appropriate, challenging assumptions and outputs, all in consultation with the Country Director.
• To provide timely information and commentary to support the monthly budget/forecast vs actual monitoring process.
Logistics, Procurement, Warehouse, Distribution, Property Management, Engineering and Transport
• To oversee the procurement, shipping and receiving of food needed for the programme
• To coordinate the Local Procurement Committee (LPC) and ensure that robust procurement policies and procedures are followed, in a transparent and fully accountable manner, ensuring compliance with current financial procedures, safeguarding value for money in the organisation and justifiable use of funds.
• Responsible for drafting high quality procurement recommendation papers for the approval of the MMI International Procurement Committee.
• To oversee the Contract management process to ensure supplier performance is monitored in line with expectations and to establish innovation in the MMK supply chain.
• To conduct final food order review and signing off in country before escalating it to MMI Finance Team
Warehousing and Distribution
• Oversee the in-bound and out-bound logistics necessary to ensure an efficient programme delivery and cost-effective operations.
• Sign off and approve the monthly dispatch of food and other goods to schools.
• Oversee safe and secure storage of all non-food supplies and inventory management e.g. spare vehicle parts
• To ensure consistent and realistic budgeting and management of resources by the logistics department and support the Programmes Department in planning and management of resources.
• To ensure the review, continuous improvement and implementation of logistics strategies, policies and operational procedures and to monitor and report on these policies and procedures.
• To identify and follow up on issues of logistics weakness/non-compliance with the agreed policies and procedures, addressing any quality assurance of suppliers/supplies to asset management.
• To ensure there are robust vehicle usage and management systems & procedures in place and that these are systems and processes are adhered to.
• To plan for and ensure there is an effective well-maintained fleet to meet programme needs.
Property Management and construction
• Oversee all property matters, including construction, acquisitions, leases, disposals and maintenance using outside consultants or suppliers as and when required.
• To ensure that all agreed construction projects, including school kitchens, are resourced and managed in a timely, efficient and effective manner, and that all construction project information is provided to the Country Director on time.
• To adhere to Organization IT standards and policies – working with the MMI Head of IT and the MMI IT Infrastructure/Applications Leads.
• To work with the MMI IT team, ensuring the ongoing management, maintenance and updating of hardware, software, and applications.
• To ensure that IT services and systems are well set up and maintained in all sites.
• Ensure the maintenance of excellent relations with all of Organization partners, supporters and visitors.
• To contribute to the establishment of a positive, healthy, and safe work environment in accordance with appropriate legislation and regulations.
• To create a culture of collaboration and continuous learning where staff are encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are held accountable for their actions.
• Any other duties commensurate with the role.
Qualifications, skills and experience
• Bachelor of Commerce/BSC in a relevant subject (e.g. Accounting, Logistics, supply chain management, business administration) or equivalent level professional experience CPAK qualified, or equivalent, with a significant post qualification experience
• Significant experience working in a management/leadership position in a developing country.
• Experience in leading finance and operations function and leading, engaging and motivating a team
• Well-developed individual and team leadership, management and coaching skills with extensive experience of managing a team
• Advanced and well-developed inter-personal skills, with solid track record in persuading and influencing others
• Proven ability to lead a team to drive forward and consolidate change and influence behaviours
• Good skills in conflict resolution/ problem solving, team work, crisis management, training facilitation, influencing, collaborative relationship and coaching
• Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context
• Able to work well with people of different cultures and nationalities
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly Word and Excel
• Ability to work on own initiative, prioritise work to deadlines and pay attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and information to a range of audiences and stakeholders
• Extensive experience of budget and financial management and implementation of internal control frameworks
• Able to apply judgement, creativity and flexibility to generate new and innovative ideas and approaches and to solve complex problems.
• Ability to identify, analyse and take action to effectively manage risk to meet strategic objectives.
• Experience working in a matrix structure
• Experience of negotiating and influencing across all levels, and building relationships and partnership.
• Strong track record of developing and implementing strategy and policy
• Experience of managing conflict and sensitive issues and achieving positive outcomes.
• Experience of working in a management/leadership position in a developing country
• Experience of developing, monitoring and reporting against agreed strategy, delivering strategic priorities within strict timelines.
• Experience of training and coaching of staff
• Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
• Fluent written and spoken English
• Experience in managing a logistics function
• Able to set up basic system administration for Window server, Window PC and networking services
• Understanding of the principles of international development.
• Understanding of the place of school feeding in relief and development.
• Experience of working in a charity or not for profit organisation
Organization International manager competencies
All the organization International employees approach their role in line with the 7S competency model.
• I build and demonstrate resilience
• I lead by example
• I’m authentic and true to the organization values
• I develop myself and set stretching goals Service
• I have a vocational attitude to my work
• I inspire hope in others
• I build belief that even difficult challenges can be solved
• I am committed to serving and enabling all who want to be part of the global movement
• I work to ensure our future will be even better than our past
• I communicate effectively
• I follow clear decision making criteria
• I create plans that are easy to follow and contribute to organisational goals
• I embrace inclusivity and diversity
• I focus on delivering results Stewardship
• I pay attention to the things that matter most – (a) our physical resources; (b) our people
• I nurture, develop and respect our relationships with external stakeholders
• I deliver on my promises
• I am happy to be held accountable and to hold others to account
• I have a point of view about the future
• I know our stakeholders and see our priorities clearly
• I help others to work in ways that have the greatest impact
• I develop strategy and translate it into action Strengthen
• I create a positive work environment
• I increase the capabilities of my team
• I help people manage their careers
• I find and develop next-generation talent
• I ensure my team is technically competent and always developing
• I build high performing teams
• I ensure accountability
• I am a catalyst for change
Changes to the job description
As the organisation evolves job descriptions may need to be reviewed and may need to be changed. Such changes may be initiated as necessary by the manager of this position in consultation with the employee. This job description may also be reviewed as part of the preparation for the annual PDR.