Role Title: Head of Marketing & Business Development Eastern Africa
Business Unit: AMEANZ (Africa, Middle East & Australia, New Zealand)
Location: Head Office, Kenya
Main purpose of the role: Leading the Marketing and Business Development function in Eastern Africa, Nigeria and Indian Ocean Islands
Territory: Eastern Africa, Nigeria and Indian Ocean Islands
Travel time: 30% local & international
Date described: July 2019
Reports to: Sub Business Head
Direct reports: Marketing Manager Kenya and Stewardship Manager – East Africa
INTERACTION ESSENTIAL TO PERFORM WORK
a) INTERNAL INTERACTION
Technical (Regulatory and R&D)
Global & regional organisation
b) EXTERNAL INTERACTION
Sub Business Head
Head of Marketing & Business Development AMEANZ
Head of Marketing & Business Development Eastern Africa, Nigeria and Indian Ocean Islands
QUALIFICATIONS, WORK EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIRED
Education (formal qualification required):
Marketing or Agricultural Degree (Bachelor of Science) + Honours
MBA is an advantage
On the job training required:
Policies & Procedures
• At least 5 years’ experience in Product Management and/or Marketing Management positions demonstrating great cross functional and functional leadership skills in the agrochemical industry.
• Mastery of Strategic Marketing & Customer Marketing concepts and processes.
• Mastery of business/market intelligence and marketing tools.
• Broad knowledge of agrochemical & Ag input business with good industry credibility and value chain expertise.
• Advanced understanding of products, product positioning and key competitors.
• General knowledge of the market and regulatory processes. Fluent English & Swahili is important.
• Strong financial acumen with ability to negotiate product access and distribution licenses
• Advanced Excel Skills
MAIN OUTPUTS / KPA’S FOR THIS POSITION
Portfolio Management - Time allocation 20%
• Drive the company Portfolio & Crop Solution Strategy making processes
• Accountable for the strategic direction & deliverables of the R&D projects
• Accountable for the R&D budget business cases process
• Accountable for the portfolio gap analysis & make strategic recommendations for licensing-in operations.
• Accountable for the company Market Intelligence initiatives including market panels, value pricing studies and voice of customer studies that supports portfolio strategic decisions
• Accountable for internal & external Crop Solutions portfolio building workshops
• Coordinate internal communication with AMEANZ regional and global marketing teams
Customer Marketing - Time allocation 20%
• Accountable for proprietary & third party product marketing mix, including the 4 Ps.
• Accountable for the corporate communication initiatives including UPL Campaign, PR & web site.
• Accountable for all the customer marketing initiatives, namely but not limited to customer marketing & communication tool internal sharing platform, Key Account Management & marketing campaigns, customer & market segmentation
• Accountable for the Eastern Africa marketing budget
• Accountable for pricing studies to optimize pricing positioning of value added products.
• Lead monthly Pricing process, assisted by finance with GP variance analysis & COGs projection
• Support the roll out of AMEANZ corporate identity aligned with global & regional directions
Business Development - Time allocation 20%
• Contribute to initiating, negotiating, closing and securing of co-development and distribution deals with key suppliers.
• Coordinate operational working and communication flow with key suppliers regarding product strategy & product launches.
• Drive the marketing planning and business development for blockbuster products (proprietary and 3rd party proprietary).
• Achieve a high success rate in landing distribution or licensing deals with key suppliers (high GP% X GP absolute).
New Product Introduction - Time allocation 20%
• Chairman of the monthly Product Portfolio Committee meeting
• Define, implement, and monitor new product introduction process based on global, regional and local processes to ensure delivery of expected budget contribution and participate in regional SOP process to ensure successful new product introductions.
• Accountable for the delivery of the profit KPI of the last 3 years product launches
Leadership - Time allocation 20%
• Assist in leading the marketing team in Eastern Africa.
• Ensure the Eastern Africa Marketing & Communication team is fully staffed with appropriately experienced employees.
• Drive for performance, set objectives, follow-up and annual review in line with the department objectives
• Adhere to all HR policies, procedures and requirements to ensure sound people practices.
JOB EVALUATION CRITERIA
Provide examples of regular problems that need to be resolved
UPL marketing strategy, Key product strategy, marketing & communication campaigns, marketing studies, business development objectives, portfolio strategy, strategic negotiation with suppliers,
What resources are required to resolve these problems?
Marketing budget, marketing and business development team (product managers, communication office, business development specialists)
What type of policies, procedures, practices and processes does the job influence?
Portfolio Strategy & Management, Range additions, Product Launch procurement process, Marketing/Communication support & business planning.
What type of decisions can be made independently – give examples
Approved Budget & Resource allocation, direct reports individual objectives, marketing plans, launch plans, communication plans
What type of decisions are referred for approval – give examples
Department Objectives, Annual budget assumptions, Staff recruitment, international business trip, financial target for product launches & business development
What type of planning is required in the job- give examples
10 year marketing plan & business cases, annual marketing & communication plans, R&D prioritization process, year +1 budget process
How far into the future does the position plan for – 1 day/1 week/1 month/ 1 year etc.
What are the type, content, range and complexity of the communication generated by this role?
All type of communication internal and external, to customer to end-user, to supplier, to strictly confidential negotiations, to industry communication
What types of communication mediums are used?
All type of communication, paper medias, web communication, emails, brochures, advertisement, magazines, email, social network (to be started) but legal agreements (distribution & development)
Who is the typical communication audience?
Commercial Team, Marketing Team, Distribution Agents, Conference Audience, internal global and regional audience
UPL CORE COMPETENCIES
• Change management
• Customer focus
• Individual development
• People leadership
• Result orientated
Excellent communication skills
Strategic vision and analytica skills (Short, Medium and long term)
Strategic Marketing skills
Build strong relationships
BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES :
Challenges the status quo
Driven & result oriented