Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Location: Mt Kenya Region (with occasional use of Nairobi HQ Office)
Type of Employment: Annual, Full-time
Brief on Client
Our client is a private water operator providing 24/7 access to clean water in Sub-Saharan Africa. Using smart technology and local operational excellence, they install and maintain water systems serving the poorest communities sustainably under the funded Sustainable Water Access Program (SWAP).
As the Lead Water System Engineer, you will play a crucial role in designing and overseeing the installation of water systems in rural communities throughout Kenya. As the technical authority on the design and installation of the systems, you will be responsible for ensuring the effectiveness, sustainability, and long-term success of water infrastructure projects, contributing directly to the lives of thousands of people living in rural communities by providing them with water 24/7.
1. Project Management:
a) Lead and coordinate the technical elements of water system projects from conception to completion, supporting adherence to timelines and budgets.
b) Hold contractors accountable to deliver on schedule and to the standards laid out in the water system designs.
c) Collaborate with the company and partner teams, as well as local communities, government agencies, and contractors.
2. Quality Assurance:
a) Implement quality control measures to guarantee the reliability, safety and longevity of water infrastructure.
b) Conduct regular and thorough reviews of work completed on site to ensure compliance with the technical specifications and to ensure contractors are completing work to the highest standard.
c) Conduct regular inspections and assessments of ongoing projects to identify and address potential issues.
3. Technical Assessment:
a) Conduct thorough site assessments with the company’s scoping team to evaluate the feasibility and technical requirements of water projects.
b) Collaborate with relevant stakeholders including hydrogeologists to gather data and ensure accurate project planning and system design.
4. Water System Design:
a) Develop and review comprehensive designs for water supply and distribution systems tailored to the unique needs of rural communities and making the best and most cost-effective use of funds available and the company’s Smart technology.
b) Utilise engineering principles to optimise the efficiency and sustainability of every water system.
c) Identify opportunities for improvement in our water system designs and installation, by reviewing installations, using available data and ensuring any improvements are incorporated in future designs.
5. Regulatory Compliance:
a) Stay informed about local and international regulations governing water systems.
b) Ensure that all projects adhere to legal and regulatory requirements, obtaining necessary permits and approvals.
6. Community Engagement & Capacity building:
a) Where necessary work closely with local communities to understand their specific needs and involve them in the decision-making process.
b) Where necessary provide training and support to local O&M partners for the sustainable management of water systems.
7. Reporting and Documentation:
a) Maintain detailed project documentation, including design specifications, progress reports, and final evaluations.
b) Prepare and present reports to internal and external stakeholders.
In respect to our regional employees:
● Manage and develop any future direct reports, including overseeing onboarding of any new team members. Use KPIs and targets to drive performance within the teams and appropriate guidance or training to under-performing team members
● Liaise with other employees within the company’s East Africa businesses to collaborate and ensure support from other areas
● Provide accurate reports to update the East Africa senior management team and use them for support in all areas above.
● Work with the Head of Scoping, Head of Maintenance, Finance Manager and the global functional roles for support in all areas above.
● Act as a key ambassador for the company in ways that strengthen its profile with communities, the County government, regulators, other water providers and O&M partners
● Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or a related field.
● Proven experience in designing and implementing water systems, particularly in rural settings.
● Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities of water infrastructure projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
● Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with diverse stakeholders.
● Knowledge of and aptitude using relevant engineering software and tools.
● Must have minimum of 3 years working as a water system engineer or similar
● Ideally more than 5 years of experience leading water system project design and installation
● Must be fully competent with the Microsoft suite of software
● Must have advanced Microsoft Excel skills
● Must have knowledge of an engineering software appropriate for the design and modelling of rural water systems as well as software for the creation of engineering drawings.
● Must demonstrate good data analysis skills with attention to detail
● Must have fluent written and spoken English and Kiswahili
● Must demonstrate high levels of integrity and ethical behaviour
● Must demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills
● Must demonstrate patience and the ability to explain data and reports in a clear and concise manner
● Must be able to work independently
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.