• KCSE mean grade C+ (Plus) and above
• Certificate or diploma in housekeeping from a recognized institution
• Be mature in age, preferably minimum 35 years
• Minimum working experience at least 3 years in learning institution
• Must have passion and commitment to work with children/students
• Experience in guidance and counselling is an added advantage
Expected Working Duties
• School matron will be based in boarding section.
• The well being of the students and the smooth running of their domestic side of school life.
• Overall responsibility for the boarding life of students out of school hours.
The work would normally include all or most of the following:
• Being aware of their individual health problems and liaise with the school Nurse
• Looking after students with minor illnesses and giving out non-prescription medicines
• Keeping students records up to date.
• Helping students settle in to school life by providing a sympathetic ear and support
• Working with members of staff to help students enjoy school life and to achieve their potential
• Taking responsibility with other house staff for supervising students, making sure they are clean and well behaved when they are not in school
• Supervising waking up, meals, bedtime and prep attendance
• Maintain discipline in the dormitories.
• Ensuring students have clean clothes, which are repaired and replaced when necessary
• Supervising cleaning and boarding staff
• Ordering cleaning and boarding supplies
• Carrying out an inventory of fixtures and fittings in the boarding section and reporting the need for repairs and replacements.
Hours and Environment
The matron will live in provided accommodation within the school and the nature of work calls for long hours, including being on call for emergencies. There will be agreed time off.
During the school holidays she will have more free time, but may still be responsible for visitors who may seek for accommodation or other holiday activities.
Skills and Interests
• Have a warm and sympathetic personality
• Be tactful and a good listener
• Be firm but fair
• Have a sound knowledge of first aid
• Be practical and keep a cool head in emergencies
• Be a team worker
• Be an excellent communicator
• Be discreet and adhere to confidentiality
• Have patience and a sense of humour