line: CHIEF GROWTH OFFICER
Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
The Category Manager-Fresh will be responsible for managing the wholesome category strategy development and implementation for the assigned product range. He/she will be tasked with marketing the category including e-visual merchandising, pricing advisory and commercializing of the products within the category for the organization.
The Position holder will be charged with contributing to the profitability of the organization by increasing the volume of products sold and by improving the velocity of inventory turnover in the category.
- Strategic Planning – Develop a long-term plan and strategy for development of the category and execute plans that position the organization as a trusted and leading brand delivering exceptional value, great quality and convenience every day;
- Portfolio Management- Manage a large portfolio of different fresh products or brands and developing appropriate strategies for each;
- Relationship Building- Collaborate with existing business partners and suppliers to establish and continuously evolve the core item mix and seasonal product offerings;
- Business Planning-Utilize the performance reviews, data analysis, customer and industry insights and market trends in partnership with business partner analysts and other support staff for long term business planning and sustainability; Equally work alongside Commercial teams (Channel and Business Development & Sales) to translate customer insights into strategies which in turn drive performance;
- Product Availability- Oversee the organization’s supply chain and distribution, including partnering with largely known vendors or suppliers to drive category relationships, optimize distribution and leverage costs to ensure consistent availability and pricing of all products; Ideally have visibility on category product availability and pipeline/stock position vis-a-vis sales;
- Merchandizing- Build and execute an effective category review schedule; analyze SKU rationalization data to identify category needs, and work with suppliers and other key stakeholders to maintain an optimum product mix;
- Project Management- Lead major projects within Growth to improve the organisation’s performance as well as provide leadership in category introduction ranging, pricing and promotions across customer channels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sales and Marketing or relevant field;
- A minimum of 7 – 10 years’ experience with a minimum of 4 years as a Category Manager (ideally for similar category) preferably within the FMCG/Retail sector;
- Able to analyse and draw accurate conclusions to support category decisions based on key data provided by BI and Finance teams;
- Have an understanding of retail insights and how capitalize to these insights to give the organization a competitive edge;
- Able to manage and persuade at all levels of the company;
- Strong collaboration and people management skills;
- Willing to learn and execute strategy development in an agile environment.