Marine and Coastal Environmental Management Consultant at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP
Consulting & Strategy
A minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience is required in: Marine and coastal management, geospatial analysis, implementation of projects and project reporting.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:2 years
- Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP administers the Nairobi Convention for the Protection, Management and Development of Coastal and Marine Environment of the Western Indian Ocean (WIO), under the Ecosystems Division. The Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
- UNEP/The Nairobi Convention, under the project on the ‘Implementation of the Strategic Action Programme for the protection of the Western Indian Ocean from land-based sources and activities’ (WIOSAP), requires a Marine And Coastal Environmental Management Consultant to undertake various activities focusing on sustainability of various interventions supported by the WIOSAP project. The position is located in the Nairobi Convention Secretariat, within the Nairobi duty station.
- Undertake various activities focusing on the sustainability of various interventions supported by the WIOSAP project through mapping of marine and coastal work done by partners to the Nairobi Convention and how to initiate and also strengthen specific linkages to the relevant outputs of the WIOSAP project including production of a compendium for the project capturing project achievements, lessons learnt, best practices, challenges and opportunities for replication/upscaling.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Under the general supervision of the Head, Secretariat of the Nairobi Convention, and direct supervision of the WIOSAP Project Manager, the consultant is expected to undertake the following roles:
- Coordinate compilation of a digital and hard copy compendium of WIOSAP investments in the WIO region capturing partnerships, successes, lessons learnt, challenges and opportunities
- Coordinate production and eventual uploading of a dashboard of WIOSAP demo projects in a format suitable for wider public outreach for effective dissemination
- Work with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) to develop national water quality monitoring frameworks for 4 WIO countries including associated capacity building for their operationalization.
- Coordinate the rolling out of the toolkit for green port development in 2 countries (2 ports) in the WIO region;
- Coordinate the development of one proposal to enhance WIOSAP pipeline funding;
- Working with colleagues in the Convention, lead in the production of meeting concept and agenda and meeting report for the Science to Policy Platform including proposed areas of decision for consideration by the COP of the Convention;
- Coordinate development of an interactive dashboard of the WIO CCVA toolkit;
- Develop meeting documents for a proposed WIO blue carbon workshop and the associated meeting report thereof;
- Work with communication team to produce public stories for dissemination of project achievements
- Advanced university (a Masters Degree or equivalent) is required in Marine Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources Management or similar disciplines. A first level degree with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- A minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience is required in: Marine and coastal management, geospatial analysis, implementation of projects and project reporting.
- Experience working with different stakeholders at both strategic and technical levels and demonstrated quality and timely delivery is desired.
- Working knowledge of the Western Indian Ocean (WIO) region and experience of working with the Governments of the WIO region would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with/appreciable understanding of the works of the UNEP-Nairobi Convention is an asset.
- Demonstrated competency in high level and excellent proposal/technical writing and ability to work within very short timelines and with minimum supervision is an added advantage.
English and French are the official working languages of the United Nations. For this consultancy, fluency in oral and written knowledge of English is required.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured