ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
One Acre Fund is looking for an experienced fundraising professional to join our global Business Development team, as we continue an exciting period of fast growth. One Acre Fund aspires to be the world’s largest and most impactful non-profit organization. To a large extent, the future growth of One Acre Fund in the next ten years will hinge on our ability to mobilize funding resources and put them in service to rural farmers.
One Acre Fund raised over $80 million USD in 2019, becoming one of a few hundred nonprofits founded in the past few decades to achieve this milestone, and in doing so, fueled our field program to end chronic hunger for over 1 million farm families with over 4 million children. One Acre Fund’s unique model matches $1 of raised revenue with $3-4 of farmer revenue in our core program; fundraising also supports innovation and corporate expenses.
You will report to our global director for government partnerships. You will build funding pathways and relationships with high-value bilateral and multilateral public donors by engaging Missions in our operating countries. Specifically, you will:
- Build a high-value portfolio of new public donors at the Mission level through:
- Research: Maintain a robust pipeline of potential funding opportunities through research and intel gathering
- Relationships: Build relationships across the public funding sector to support in the development, shepherding and awarding of funding proposals
- Close deals: Identify relevant funding opportunities, and advance them through to a successful award
- Stewardship: Manage existing grants and relationships, including relevant reporting oversight
- Collaborate with other fundraisers on the team to push forward our global bilateral/multilateral fundraising strategy
- Develop fluency in agricultural development, poverty alleviation, and One Acre Fund, to support external representation and build excitement about our work among donor communities
- Represent One Acre Fund at conferences and donor meetings
- Host bilateral and multilateral donors visiting our programs in Africa
- Establish productive relationships with other teams in the organization, to design and report on successful proposals (eg. Government Relations/Policy, Communications, Field, and Finance teams).
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking a professional with 8+ years of fundraising experience and demonstrated passion for a career in international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Track-record of securing multi-million dollar (USD) funding deals is required. Experience with public sector (bi/multilateral) fundraising and reporting is strongly desired.
- Proven relationship- and network-builder, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Business acumen. You understand the language of business and are able to communicate complex topics simply and effectively.
- Top-performing academic background. Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required.
- Genuine commitment to rural communities. You are passionate about providing opportunities to the hardest-working farmers on the planet.
- Professional/technical skills. You can design compelling donor slide decks in PowerPoint, and engage with complex spreadsheets in Excel. Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Values fit. You are service-oriented, humble, and collaborative.
- Willingness to be based in Nairobi and willingness to travel. You will travel up to 30% within Africa and possibly other international destinations. Dates of travel are highly variable.
- Language: English fluency required (written and spoken); ability to speak French and/or Swahili are bonuses.
PREFERRED START DATE
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting rapidly to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date. For this role more specifically, it is not likely to start until early 2021.
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; must have existing rights to work in Kenya or Rwanda.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.