UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA (UNSOS)
UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO LOCAL RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL ALLOWANCES OR BENEFITS.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 11 FEBRUARY 2022
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 12 JANUARY 2022
FUNCTIONAL TITLE : FINANCE AND BUDGET ASSISTANT (MULTIPLE POSITIONS)
LEVEL : GL-5
SECTION : FINANCE AND BUDGET
LOCATION : NAIROBI
DURATION OF CONTRACT : ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/FIN/002/2022
This position is funded for an initial period of one year. Extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to United Nations staff rule 4.4. All staff in the
General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. Local laws governing employment
for non-nationals will be observed by the United Nations. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is based in the Finance and Budget Section within the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS), in Nairobi. The Finance and Budget Assistants will report to the unit Chief.
Within delegated authority, the Finance and Budget Assistants will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists with the processing of incoming/outgoing payments, billings from/to Headquarters, agencies, funds, programs and other field missions.
• Assists in the limited processing of bank reconciliation on a daily basis.
• Assists with the creation of internal orders and earmarked funds.
• Assists in the processing of down payment to vendors and UN agencies.
• Assists in the review and analysis of receivables, payables and all open items for corrective actions.
• Verifies that relevant supporting documents have been provided and certified by a duly designated certifying officer for goods and services received, for payments of staff entitlements, travel claims, agencies etc. to ensure
conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies such as staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework; communicates discrepancies to supervisors.
• Assists with the disbursement and release process for payments by cheques, cash, or wire transfer; assist with exception payments for corrective actions.
• Assists with the preparation of petty cash and imprest replenishments; maintains the records of cash journal activities of the petty cash funds and imprest account; monitors cheque stock and cash receipt for replenishments.
• Prepares supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals; Assists supervisors in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Assists in monitoring extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Assists with the review of current budget period commitments to ensure their validity to carry forward and cancel outstanding commitments not valid.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is
motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and
ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way
communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and
respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of
progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Technical or vocational certificate in accounting, finance, budget, or related fields is a requirement.
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of experience in international organisations or in the private sector in accounting, budgeting and financial management or related area.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Assessment Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will Method be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 11 February 2022 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Kindly attach copies of relevant academic cerificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).