Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: As soon as possible
We are is a fast-growing financial services start-up in East Africa that is bringing a new model to health and risk financing for emerging customers. Through Ellard Insurance Agency, our offering is subscription-based insurance made for the mass market, which is distributed through business partnerships. We value simplicity, communication and transparency as we strive to transform the way insurance works.
Our mission is to free people from the fear of financial shocks by offering tailormade, affordable insurance products that add real value to their lives. Since launching in 2019, Our company has insured over 100,000 customers.
We are looking for an Insurance Operations Manager to work with the Nairobi office reporting to the Kenya General Manager. This individual will be responsible for the management of insurance operations, claims and customer administration, underwriter relationships within Kenya as well as responsible for delivering on insurance operations- related objectives and key results (OKRs). This individual will also serve as the Principal Officer.
Specifically, this person will oversee the insurance operations of our company in Kenya, helping to implement processes for data collection and producing data output as
needed to measure OKRs, to reflect policy coverage information for policyholders and insurance companies, and work with the insurers and our company claims teams to
ensure that monetary flows are accurate and timely. Finally, this person will analyse the company’s operational performance and all project-related data in order to
make strategic and tactical recommendations to the company leadership.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
The Insurance Operations Manager will perform the following tasks in a highly professional manner:
1. Policy Administration Management
● Ensure clients submit monthly policies in a timely fashion to our company and all partner policies are correctly captured in the database.
● Ensure timely and accurate preparation of all billing reports/statements for partners and underwriters.
2. Claims Administration Management
● Maintain accurate, up-to-date records of all claims initiated with the corresponding soft copy documentation in the claims management database.
● Ensure that the Claims team provides timely and accurate responses to claims reported by partners and customers.
● Supervise the team to ensure that claims are processed and closed within the specified turnaround times from initiation, data gathering, analysis, approvals
to payments while ensuring a high-level of operational delivery quality.
● Demonstrate a high sense of empathy toward partner clients and staff in all claim-related interactions.
● Supervise preparation of claims reports for partners and insurers per agreed timelines.
3. Insurer Relationship Management
● Develop and finalize product policy contracts and SLAs with insurers.
● Work with the Finance Manager to ensure underwriter’s premiums are remitted within agreed timelines.
● Manage submission of all billing reports/statements to insurers for all products on a monthly basis.
● Lead and conclude all regulatory filings as dictated by the Insurance regulator, including but not limited to license renewals.
● Work with insurers’ claims team to reconcile and refund all claims prepaid by our company.
4. Insurance Regulator Relationship Management
● Build mastery of the regulatory environment for microinsurance in Kenya.
● Channel all industry and regulatory updates that could potentially affect our company status and operations to management.
● Ensure the timely and accurate submission of all data required by the insurance regulator.
● Alongside the Principal Officer, ensure the timely renewal of our company operating license from the insurance regulator.
● Ensure that at all times, our company remains in good legal standing with the insurance regulator
● Alongside the Principal Officer, engage with the insurance regulator on any matters requiring regulatory notification, approval or oversight.
5. Other Management tasks
● Build a thorough understanding of all products and partnerships undertaken by our company.
● Supervise the timely and accurate preparation of monthly country metrics report including policies, premiums, revenue, and claims.
● Ensure that all operational processes and procedures are appropriately documented, and procedures are in place to update documentation as required on an ongoing basis.
● Manage partnership documentation for each active business, including but not limited to non-disclosure agreements, service level agreements, policy
schedules and wordings, and commercial contracts.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
● Live our company values – care and protect our customers, do the right thing for our customers, and have fun
● Bachelors degree in Business Administration or equivalent
● Minimum insurance qualification: Certificate of Proficiency (mandatory)
● 5+ years of professional experience in the insurance industry, with strong knowledge of operations and client retention. Microinsurance experience is an added advantage
● Strong track record of operations delivery, including administrative management, reports, contracts, business processes, and the like
● Very strong Excel skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills, including oral and written
● Experience in developing and improving operational delivery processes
● Ability to work autonomously and take initiative, solve problems (solution-oriented), demonstrate self-motivation and energy, work well under pressure, and meet tight deadlines
● Willingness to work as a team member with people in and outside of our organization from differing backgrounds, geographies, and cultures.
● Highly organized with great attention to detail
● Passionate about customer service