Responsible for configuration and maintenance of Metropol IT systems. This will entail provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. He/she ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, policies and practices.
Head of IT Infrastructure
Assistant Systems Administrator
Internal –CITO and Head of Business units
External –Users of MCL software applications, Service Providers, Technology providers.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Provide technical support for both hardware and software issues.
• Manage the configuration and operation of data center servers.
• Monitor the system daily and respond immediately to security or usability concerns.
• Monitor and report performance of replication services between primary and secondary sites.
• Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary and as per policies and procedures.
• Verify that backups can be restored by conducting weekly restore procedures.
• Respond to and resolve help desk requests.
• Upgrade systems and processes as required for enhanced functionality and security issue resolution.
• Administrate infrastructure, including firewalls, databases, malware protection software and other processes.
• Review application logs and summarize status.
• Install and test computer-related equipment.
• Maintain and support system efficiency operations.
• Ensure design of system allows all components to work properly together.
• Evaluate, modify and report periodic system's performance to support capacity planning.
• Identify user needs and recommend necessary actions.
• Maintain integrity of the server deployment, and security.
• Assign configuration of authentication and authorization of directory services.
• Maintain network servers such as file servers, VPN gateways, and intrusion detection systems.
• Administer servers, software deployment, security updates and patches.
• Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
• Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project or operational requirements.
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs.
• Perform periodic security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
• Perform system tuning to enable appropriate utilization of available resources
• Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
• Provide IT support per request from various users as per laid down procedures.
• Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
• Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
• Maintain operational, configuration, and other procedures.
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
• Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required –server provisioning.
• Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment
SKILLS, COMPETENCIES, QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or a related field.
• Must have advanced Systems Administration certification for Linux/Unix and Windows from a recognized institution (CCNP, CNA, MCSA etc).
• Thorough knowledge in Linux/Unix and Windows.
• Working knowledge of common databases – Oracle, Postgres and MySQL
• Thorough knowledge of Redis database
• Thorough and practical knowledge of hardware virtualization
• Knowledge of cloud computing concepts and methods of providing services & applications
• Working knowledge of network management
• At least 4 years of experience in systems administration with a focus in Linux/Unix and Windows environments, virtualization, information technology management, policy and security.
• Working knowledge of MS Office tools
• Experience using a configuration management system.
• Experience scripting common or repeated tasks.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment.
• Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
• Experience in participating in diverse workgroups.
• Basic project management knowledge and practices.
• Ability to work non-traditional hours, respond to on-call requests. Desirable Skills;
• Good Communication skills and active listening
• Empathy with users
• Acceptance of ownership
• Patience and understanding
• Investigation & diagnostic skills
• Ability to learn and master employer-specific software applications and their requirements to ensure maximum performance
• Complex problem solving
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to diagnose & address application issues
• Should demonstrate in day-to-day work adherence to security best practices
• Have business knowledge
• Good Planning and organizing skills
• Technological awareness
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent documentation skills
• Ability to work and participate in a team with open and collaborative style of communications
• Good leader and Team player
• Ability to develop and foster strong relationships with business and IT teams.
• Ability to deal with complex situations holistically.
• Excellent time management, organizational skills and strong problem solving skills
• Ability to acquire knowledge to make process improvement recommendations
• A flexible approach to work, demonstrated by a willingness to undertake further duties as assigned
• Ability to perform assigned tasks with minimal direct supervision.
• Ability to responding promptly and professionally to bug reports.
• Ability to interview stakeholders to understand business rules and requirements, map business process and flows, and translate findings into effective business requirements.
• Ability to collaborate with technical teams, demonstrating an awareness of the software development life cycle.
• Ability to assists internal CRM team in understanding the workings and flow of MCL applications.
• General skills and certifications for Data centre environment and physical security management