Text Book Centre (TBC) is East and Central Africa's largest Educational, Cultural and Technological Content and Products Distributor. The Company has grown tremendously over the years to become the leading bookstore chain in Kenya and around the region.
The position will be responsible for leading the transformation, development, and continuous improvement of TBC’s supply chain function with focus on people, systems and processes. The position will develop and execute supply chain strategies that enable the business to achieve long term plans and manage the key processes of the Integrated Supply Chain incorporating demand and supply planning, procurement, warehousing and logistics.
1. Participate in strategic planning for the organization and develop a supply chain strategy that is aligned to the overall corporate objectives. Drive strategic supply chain projects and initiatives to support TBC’s growth aspirations
2. Drive long term supply chain planning for the organization; determining requirements based on the business plan across various product categories and executing the plan in a manner that ensures optimal stock holding costs.
3. Develop and implement supply chain policies, systems, procedures to enable achievement of corporate goals. Deploy and enforce the usage of supply chain tools that increase efficiency, compliance and spend control.
4. Manages functional expenses and headcount within budget plans. Coordinate budgetary planning in relation to product supply & logistics and negotiate improved pricing, product quality and delivery timelines.
5. Proactively identify and overcome supply chain gaps and weaknesses. Deliver continuous improvements in key supply chain processes such as sourcing, inventory management and logistics to increase efficiency, and enable attainment of key performance and financial targets.
6. Oversee procurement, inbound and outbound logistics and inventory management to ensure the functions are carried out effectively and efficiently and in a cost-effective manner.
7. Partnering and strategic relationship management with suppliers and other stakeholders to ensure reliable and efficient supplies and achieve competitive advantage.
8. Champion procurement best practices and lead negotiations with suppliers, service providers etc in order to attain best value and cost savings for TBC. Guide the development of high quality service level agreements.
9. Identify, assess and put in place measures to mitigate risks in all supply chain-related activities.
10. Execute strong governance and controls in the supply chain processes(internal and external) & take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics including compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and TBC policies/Code of Conduct.
11. Provides counsel to stakeholders across the business functions in support of procurement, supplier management, outsourcing and contract management and other Supply Chain related queries.
12. Coordinate and report the progress of all activities of purchases, logistics, warehousing and distribution as key supply chain functions to the leadership team.
13. Provide overall leadership to the supply chain team; manage the team’s performance and continuously develop them to achieve the unit’s objectives.
• Masters’ degree in Supply Chain Management, Commerce or related field.
• Full Professional Qualification in Purchasing and Supplies Management-CIPS
• Membership –KISM
• At least 10 years’ experience in Supply Chain Management, five (5) of which must be in a leadership role.
• Possess superior knowledge of Supply Chain systems and tools.
• Proficiency working with ERP Systems
• Exposure to working in a diverse cultural environment preferably in the Retail industry.
• Knowledge and experience in building systems, structures and tools necessary for an efficient supply chain.
• Supplier/Vendor management.
• Good understanding of international logistics.
• Demonstrable business acumen and project management skills.
• Excellent negotiation and strategic relationship management skills.
• Financial management skills.
• Strong leadership and collaboration skills with hands-on capability and management style.
• High moral standing with impeccable integrity
• A go-getter, enthusiastic, results oriented with excellent interpersonal, communication skills.
• A forward planner with clear focus, well-organized, with strong follow through skills.
• Ability to grow, support and develop talent within the department.