About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
The Program / Department / Team (Program / Department Summary)
Girls Improving Resilience through Livelihoods (GIRL) is a three-year, 10 million dollar program to be implemented in Kenya, Uganda and Haiti that seeks to improve the well-being of adolescent girls and young women by increasing their access to skills and knowledge, health resources, formal education and economic opportunities. GIRL also fosters an enabling environment by working with communities to transform unhealthy social norms and create opportunities for girls to access education and economic opportunity. Key to GIRL is a robust learning and research agenda that reaches across three countries to contribute to the evidence base on what works to secure access to opportunities for adolescent girls within the most marginalized communities and to better understand their contribution to household resilience. This evidence and learning will be shared to elevate Mercy Corps’ influence in the adolescent girl space and to bolster fundraising efforts to scale the model. The GIRL Program Manager will support the successful implementation of the GIRL program across the three target countries, driving innovation and learning to refine a replicable and evidence-based GIRL programming model, and will play a critical role in leading regional and global expansion efforts for Mercy Corps’ adolescent girl programming.
General Position Summary
The Senior Finance and Sub Grants Officer works under the guidance and supervision of the Kenya Country Finance Director and the GIRL- H Program Director with direct interaction with the Program leads, Managers, Finance and Sub grants staff.
The Senior Finance and Sub Grants Officer is responsible for the grant financial management functions for the GIRL-H program. The Senior Finance and Sub Grants Officer will ensure compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Senior Finance and Grant Officer provides timely reports and assistance to the Program Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
The Senior Finance and Grants Officer is an integral part of the Project Management Team of GIRL -H and works closely with the management, technical and operations field and country teams in Kenya, Uganda and Haiti.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manage financial operations and financial reporting of GIRL-H.
- Provide monthly management reports to the GIRL-H Program Director and country Program Managers, including expenditures by fund and country, sub grantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participate in monthly cash forecasting and request for funds with Program Managers in respective countries.
- Ensure that the project financial operations comply with all Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Ensure that monthly transactions are reviewed and entered in the General Ledger accurately and on a timely basis.
- Support the country teams in Kenya, Haiti and Uganda in managing all grants and operations of the project, cash management, budget review and management.
- Review of the partner financial reports.
- Oversee and coordinate management of sub-grant agreements and financial management of sub-grants.
- Responsible for processing of sub-grants payments and reimbursements to locally engaged partners.
- Oversee pre-award and post-award activities including asset control, timely reporting and contract fulfilment to check against payment.
- Work with the GIRL-H program teams to verify and track budget and expenditures vis-à-vis sub-grant awards and ensure proper reporting, documentation and overall deliverables are reviewed by Senior Management and signed off on prior to issuance of payment.
- Ensure consistency across sub-grantees on basic provisions and highlight issues that could be viewed as bias or discrepancies.
- Provide regular reports on GIRL-H issues, recommendations that need to be considered for operational adjustment.
- Work with Mercy Corps team members and sub grantees management teams to conduct ad-hoc audit review of GIRL-H field operations.
- Coordinate GIRL-H expenditure verification and project audits.
- Other financial and sub grant tasks as required.
MONITORING & EVALUATION (M&E) AND REPORTING
- Work with the GIRL -H Senior Management, M&E and finance team members to ensure that deliverables are aligned with objectives and that financial milestones are proportionate to programme milestones.
- Provide financial perspective in management and decision-making to enhance Mercy Corps’ adaptive management.
PROGRAM SUPPORT OPERATIONS
- Ensure that GIRL-H financial systems are efficient and are based on smooth-running infrastructure that facilitate timely and efficient program implementation.
- Provide regular review of field operations to ensure cost-effectiveness
STAFF MANAGEMENT, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TEAM BUILDING**
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Work with field office management teams to establish financial reporting and management systems that ensure the safety and security of GIRL-H financial resources including cash assets and records.
- Conduct yourself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional
manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures,
and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports directly to: Dual reporting line to Finance Director with a dotted line to the GIRL-H Program Director
Works directly with: GIRL-H Program Managers, Country Finance/Grants Teams, Programme Teams, Implementing Partners and HR and Operations departments.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- Professional accounting certification CPA (K) or equivalent.
- Seven years of demonstrated professional experience managing grants, subcontracts, procurement and compliance with donor regulations, preferably donor-funded projects.
- Strong accounting skills and experience in management of the general ledger, journal entries, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience applying clauses and negotiating without heavy management oversight including developing amendments and modifications as a result of negotiations.
- Experience providing capacity-building training to staff and local organizations.
- Proven abilities in analytical, excel and reporting skills.
Required competencies and skills:
Knowledge and application of best practices in grant management.
Demonstrated knowledge of financial and management systems, regulations and reporting requirements. Evidence of ability to be creative and flexible within those requirements.
Analytical capabilities with accounting procedures and processes for structuring projects.
Knowledge of grants management software and information technology skills.
Management and Communications
Ability to communicate technical, budgetary and program details to staff, grantees and applicants.
Ability to design and implement effective workflow processes and procedures.
Capability to foster an atmosphere that recognizes and respects cultural and individual differences.
The Senior Finance and Sub grant Officer will have proven abilities in analytical and reporting skills with sound judgement in regards to budget, financial analysis and management of program issues. S/he will have the ability to communicate and interact effectively across diverse program teams and support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful information.
For the detailed position description and application procedure please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/3keE6rL Applications should be submitted on or before 5th March 2020 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process