Sustainable Organic Farming and Development Initiatives (SOFDI) is a well-established NGO working within the farming communities of Vihiga and Kakamega counties. We are looking to hire an Agricultural Extension Intern to work with our field team and help support our program implementation and extension work within our farmers network.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:2 years
SOFDI offers extensive training on sustainable organic farming practices and nutrition-sensitive agriculture in order to help improve food security and support livelihoods through farming. This includes working with a strong, dynamic and experienced team in achieving a sustainable, positive and wide impact. Through our multidisciplinary approach, we aim to strengthen resilience to climate change, improve biodiversity for healthier soils and sustainable ecosystems, and diversify dietary intake of a wider range of nutritious foods. Another key component is in ensuring economic empowerment and resilience is also achieved, as we make our beneficiaries more self-reliant and help them improve their livelihoods through farming. In order to support this work, we are now looking to hire 3 agronomists on an internship program.
Overview of the Position
The extension interns will be responsible for attending to a region of farmers groups which entails effective planning, implementation and monitoring of our holistic training program. The extension staff will be the focal person for farmer groups and carry out mobilization and capacity strengthening activities, supervising lead farmers and providing extension support to ensure sustained increase in farm productivity for self reliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with a team of regional extension officers to ensure effective implementation of the SOFDI program.
- Organize farmer groups into strong productive and cohesive entrepreneurial-oriented agricultural units.
- Work with farmers to establish demo plots for enhanced technology adoption.
- Serve as the primary technical assistant for farmers groups and monitor their progress throughout the training pathway.
- Conduct individual household visits and attend routine group meetings to monitor farmer progress, identify gaps, and provide technical services.
- Participate in Planning and Review meetings and prepare timely Field Reports.
- Carry out Monitoring and Evaluation activities and ensure key issues are raised.
- Update, Review and Maintain regional data in our project information system to help inform decision making.
- Integrate the principles of IPM, Agroforestry, Agribusiness, Medicinal Plants, and Community Seed Banking into program implementation.
- Empower group and regional leadership to stay linked with SOFDI Network Services, including information services, cooperative linkages, shared resources and more.
- Contribute to ongoing program development through working group participation.
A bachelor’s degree in General Agriculture, Livestock Production, Horticulture, Agronomy, Agribusiness Economics, Cooperatives Management or a Diploma degree with 2 years of relevant field experience in the specified and/or related field from a recognised Educational Institution.
Experience, education, and interest in the following areas would be preferred:
- Sustainable Organic Farming, Permaculture, Bio-intensive Agriculture, IPM, and Agro-ecology;
- Agribusiness, Crop-based Cooperatives and Entrepreneurship, Farm Business School;
- Agroforestry, Livestock Systems, Climate Change as it relates to agriculture;
- Applications of IT in agriculture, Seed Systems, Value-Addition;
- Community Development, Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture, Community Health.
The following Skills and Strengths are essential:
- Ability to work independently and with initiative.
- Strong communication and presentation skills in both English and Kiswahili, including ability to adapt to interactions at all levels.
- Excellent documentation and report-writing skills.
- Proficiency in Google-Suite applications for word processing, spreadsheets, file sharing, and utilization of the internet.
- Professional level of attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Willingness and openness to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, consistently meet deadlines and manage time well.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and leadership skills.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and CV through Brighter Monday. To learn more about the organisation visit: www.sofdi.com
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured