Position Title: Analytics Engineer
Location: Kenya, UK, Or Remote Working
Position Start: ASAP
Contract: Full-time employee
The analytics engineer will multiply the effectiveness of everyone in the Data and BI team by creating, sharing, and making easy the data systems that workflows are built on, whilst contributing positively to team culture. Our vision is to be the smartest company in Africa and you will play a crucial part in that.
Analytic engineering at M-Kopa is new and evolving, sitting at the intersection of Data Science, BI/Analytics and Data Engineering. You’ll sit inside a small team with autonomy to improve the data teams workflows. Analytics engineering is a relatively new field, so we welcome applicants from Data Analysts who tend towards repeatability and automation to Data Engineers who are interested in the business domain, data scientists who’ve realised that clean data is more important than another 1000 epochs, or software engineers who want the perfect entry into the data space.
• Ultimately the responsibility is to increase the speed and efficiency of common data team workflows. Below are some examples of how you may achieve this.
• Improve the overall Data team’s workflow through knowledge sharing, proper documentation, and code review
• Deliver/review new automation frameworks within the team
• Work on efficient ingestion of new data into our data warehouse using tools such as Python, Spark, Airflow, ADF, Databricks, Azure Data Lake etc
• Work on efficient storage of our data in the data warehouse, identifying performance improvements from query to table redesign.
• Work on the careful design of the schema’s, table names, data models and practices within the data warehouse, creating a well curated data set.
• Rewrite our data model using dbt or similar, and empower other analysts to use the frameworks, developing their skills with mentoring and good code review.
• Identify re-usable elements of downstream analytics and move into the repeatable data model
• Contribute to our internal python and R libraries, driving best practice
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Experience: 3+ years data experience;
Knowledge / Skills:
▪ You are a structured thinker, able to implement structure to simplify workflows and enable teams
▪ You are curious, from new tools in the data world to what is the right business definition for this metric
▪ Strong SQL Skills and transforming data
▪ Experience with collaborative data and software development via git and you’re comfortable in the command line
▪ Experience deploying code/models to production, ideally via automated deployments
▪ Experience with Data Warehouse Schema Design
• Experience with python, pandas, airflow
• Experience with dbt (and Jinja) or a similar tool
• Experience with using automated deployment pipelines
• Experience with distributed compute tools such as Spark
• Experience with Microsoft Azure (U-SQL, Data Factory, Data Lake), other Big Data tools (Hadoop, Spark), similar cloud providers and tools also a plus
• Familiarity with agile data ops development processes, unit testing, source control, continuous integration, etc.
• Experience with data visualisation tools (such as Power BI or Tableau, GGPlot2, D3.js, Seaborn, Matplotlib, Dash etc.)
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role with the subject Analytics Engineer
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Kampala, , London, and Hong-Kong, is the global pioneer and leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 850,000 homes in Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria and Tanzania to solar power and over 1.2M to life improving products, and is now adding over 1,000 new customers each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for US $0.50-$1.00, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 130,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet and allows for unique data driven insights into M-KOPA’s customers, products and the Pay-As-You-Go business model.
As of January 2020, M-KOPA employs over 1,000 full time staff and sells through a network of 3,500 direct sales agents. It has a rapidly expanding range of innovative products that help upgrade people’s lives, and is also expanding into other high-potential new markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably being selected as Forbes magazines top 50 companies changing the world, winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards, earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award, and named “The Smartest Company in Africa” by MIT’s 2017 list of the Worlds 50 Smartest Companies.