Start Network is made up of more than 50 aid agencies across five continents, ranging from large international organisations to national NGOs. Together, our aim is to transform humanitarian action through innovation, fast funding, early action, and localisation.
We're tackling what we believe are the biggest systemic problems that the sector faces. Problems including slow and reactive funding, centralised decision-making, and an aversion to change mean that people affected by crises around the world do not receive the best help fast enough, and needless suffering results. Our work focuses on three areas to change the system:
· Localisation: shifting power to those closest to the front line for more effective response.
· New forms of financing: providing fast, early, and predictable funding to improve community resilience and preparedness. .
· Collective innovation: sharing expertise, insights and perspectives to shape a more effective humanitarian system.
The Start Network is at a critical point in its journey. We have grown and diversified our membership over the past 10 years. We are now set to evolve into a decentralised “network of networks” by 2025. We are currently working with five national and regional networks (hubs) in Pakistan, DRC, Guatemala, India and the Pacific. They are developing locally-owned ways of anticipating and responding to humanitarian crises. We aim to support the emergence and development of further Hubs in the coming years. Our ultimate ambition is to devolve leadership, membership, programming and decision making to the hubs, while the UK team transitions to provide services of support.
We are currently exploring moving from a UK-based team to a more globally dispersed team, to increase diversity, and ensure we are representative of the communities we serve. Therefore, the post will be based outside the UK, and we are actively seeking to recruit within our countries of operation (DRC, Bangladesh, Guatemala, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Senegal, Somalia, Kenya, South Sudan and the Philippines). For these locations, the recruited staff member will be hosted by one of our member organisations or using a third-party host.
Start Network is committed to protecting people, particularly children, at-risk adults and affected populations from any harm that may be caused due to their encountering the Start Network as well as responding effectively should any harm occur. We are also committed to safeguarding staff from any forms of bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and abuse of power as outlined in the Dignity at Work policy.
Start Network embraces diversity, promotes equality of opportunity and eliminates unlawful discrimination. We are an equal opportunities employer and treat every application on merit alone. We particularly welcome applications from disabled, black, indigenous and people of colour (BIPOC), and LGBT+ and non-binary candidates. We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet our essential selection criteria.
To support the communications and digital team to maintain consistent and high-quality communications in multiple languages, across channels including the website, social media, members community, emails and events. To maintain and ensure members and staff make use of communications tools, templates and guidance materials. To provide operational support to the communications team including managing inboxes and processing invoices.
The post-holder will have a good knowledge of best practise in communications, social media, and will have a good creative eye. They will be a great writer, editor with good attention to detail.
The candidate will be passionate, proactive, open and adaptive to learning, they also will relish the opportunity to try different styles of communications and will willing to test new ways of working.
The post-holder will be fluent in English and preferably multi or bi-lingual with French, Arabic or Spanish.
Occasional travel required.
Communications content support
• Support the production and editing of high-quality written communications, including news articles, press releases, and blogs, and ensure they are available in multiple languages.
• Support the management of Start Network’s social media channels, in particular by posting about Start Fund alerts and funding for early action projects and managing day-to-day engagement.
• Support the communications manager to create, often through suppliers, communications assets and multimedia content, such as brochures, reports, presentations, videos and infographics, primarily to support the communications of our Start Funds and risk financing products, and Start Network Hubs.
• Support the management of the member Salesforce community by posting weekly news and updates from across our programmes and support the communication manager in the production of email newsletters and e-marketing.
• Support the advocacy team in the running and communications of events, including e-marketing to delegates and live social media posting.
Communications information and materials
• Support the team to maintain the Start Network website, including updating facts and figures, posting news and jobs and maintaining the staff and board pages.
• Maintain key communications materials, guidance and templates, such as template Powerpoint presentations, and ensure the team and members are making use of them.
• Ensure that visibility guidelines for members for the Start Fund and other financing mechanisms are kept up to date, and work with member comms teams to ensure members are using the guidelines.
• Support the communications team meetings, including book diaries and setting up Zoom links when relevant.
• Manage the communications inbox and ensure enquiries are dealt with swiftly.
• Work with the finance team to process invoices from communications suppliers.
• Ensure communications contacts and relationships are managed using Salesforce.
• Uses relevant ways to communicate timely messages to the right audiences using appropriate channels.
• Promotes different ways to engage different audiences, advising others on how to maximise impact through feedback and coaching.
• Flexes communication style to convey complex information concisely to different audiences, avoiding jargon and using simple language.
• Delivers results with awareness of impact on others internally and externally by considering the positions and perspectives of relevant stakeholder.
• Embraces diverse perspectives by using collaborative language, recognising and taking account of power dynamics.
• Builds networks internally and externally by showing curiosity and learning from others.
• Willing to share own expertise with others in the organisation and network, both formally and informally.
• Able to reprioritise and shift focus in response to changing needs of the organisation or network by being aware of how your role sits in the system.
• Overcomes obstacles by taking initiative to identify issues, seeking help to address them and escalating appropriately.
• Makes best use of all of available resources, including people, technology and money to enable increased automation, digitisation and value for money.
Start Network culture
• To carry out the responsibilities of the role in line with the Start Network Code of Conduct and with a commitment to safeguarding adults and children
• A commitment to the Start Network vision, principles, values and approach
• The Start Network team is an agile group of individuals who use their experience and skills across the network, so flexibility to work in and with different teams and functions is a part of our culture.
How to apply
We work with Applied, an online recruitment platform designed to allow teams to measure candidates on what actually matters. Rather than relying on CVs and cover letters, Applied allows you to demonstrate your skills and abilities through competency based questions which are blind- reviewed by our team to avoid personal bias.
To apply, please follow the link below and follow the instructions.
If you have any questions or need support with your application, please email us using email@example.com
Closing date: 30 August 2021 at 23:59.
Any offer of employment is subject to relevant checks. Please refer to our privacy statement and candidate privacy notice regarding treatment of your data.