Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Start Date: March 2021
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) is a leading development finance organisation that supports businesses to innovate, create jobs and leverage investments in order to create resilience and sustainable incomes in rural and marginalized communities in Africa. Launched in 2008, AECF has invested in 292 businesses across more than 40 value chains and 26 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
We focus specifically on agribusiness, renewable energy and climate technologies, while also addressing the crosscutting themes of gender, youth and fragile contexts. In just over a decade, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives, created close to 24,000 jobs, and leveraged over US $740 million in matching funds.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya, with offices in Côte d’Ivoire and Tanzania.
AECF is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, and results-oriented Director of Strategy & Partnerships, with an affinity for impact investing and willing to excel in a highly entrepreneurial environment. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the incumbent will be member of the Executive Committee with primary responsibility to lead in partnerships development and resource mobilization, implementation of AECFs refreshed strategy (2021- 2025) and oversight the Communications and Impact functions. The role requires a good understanding of private sector development in sub-Saharan Africa.
The role will be based in Nairobi with occasional local and international travel.
1. Resource mobilization and partnership development
• Lead the organization’s strategy for creating new and renewed business with public and private sector donors (including bilateral, multilateral, and foundation donors).
• Secure bilateral investment and establish targets that secure agreed upon investment generation and diversification of the AECG program portfolio.
• Has overall responsibility for ensuring proposal process is aligned to internal processes, and that proposal development is proactive and anticipatory.
• Ensure effective management of existing relationships and put in place processes and tools for quality assurance on donor reporting and engagement.
• Lead on AECF’s overall corporate strategic planning, monitoring and review implementation progress against short, medium term and longer-term objectives.
• Collaborate with senior leaders and their teams across the organization to set priorities, goals and implement the strategic initiatives, prioritizing resources required in collaboration with Finance.
• Own the development of key strategic initiatives to give shape to new opportunities by applying rigorous fact-based logic, analytics and business smarts to identify key value drivers and lay the groundwork for success.
• Champion new opportunities across the organization, working collaboratively to identify critical business needs and remove key roadblocks and enable.
3. Communications and impact
• Lead in the development and implementation of AECF’s communication strategy and strengthening of its internal and external communications platforms in support of the institution’s overall strategy.
• Guide the development of AECF’s communications plan in accordance with overall organizational strategy.
• Enhance dissemination of AECF’s value adding outputs, raising the visibility of its impact, and driving the organization’s branding initiatives.
• Lead the impact team in the development and implementation of the project monitoring, evaluation, learning and technical strategies for strengthening routine and ad hoc information systems as well as data use for reporting, learning and decision making.
Required qualifications, experience, and attributes:
• 10+ years of work experience in a senior partnership’s development and fundraising role. This should include a track-record of initiating, leading, and closing negotiations (through strategic alliances or otherwise with private and public sector parties) that total at least USD 200m in the past five years for a not-for-profit institution, preferably with operations in Africa.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in Business Administration or a similar field preferred.
• Working knowledge of either Agri business, Renewable Energy &Climate Adaptation sectors
• Excellent strategy acumen coupled with 5+ years’ experience in leading strategy alongside working with Boards, C-suite leaders, with long-term planning orientation while also surfacing opportunities for innovation and growth.
• Excellent partnerships & grants management skill and ability to build relationships with development partners, governments, and private sectors.
• Interest and aptitude in prospecting, cultivating, and managing new donors.
• Exceptional planning and analytical skills, ability to discern patterns and insights from research and internal / external data and focus on the critical business issues.
• High degree of initiative and energy, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail. • Excellent interpersonal skills including strong work ethic, impeccable integrity, and judgment.
• A working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Director of Strategy & Partnerships – AECF/FEB/DSP/2021” and attach a detailed CV with correct e-mail address and telephone contracts via https://recruitment.aecfafrica.org
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit https://www.aecfafrica.org