Position Level: Head of Department
Duty Station: Nairobi
Reports To: CEO
1. Projects are delivered on time, on budget and with the features and functionality specified by the project’s stakeholders
• Facilitate the development and acceptance of the Project Objectives and Business Case
• Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders
• Develop comprehensive project plans that cover all project related areas such as scope management, time management, risk management, quality management etc.
• Develop and manage a project budget that is approved by key stakeholders
• Manage and control the project in line with project and budget plans developed
• Execute a successful handover of project outputs into the relevant support area of the business
• Facilitate the transition of the project into the benefits realization stage and support phase.
2. Communication and Reporting.
• Set and continuously manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders through the establishment and implementation of an effective communication strategy.
• Communicate project risks and issues to relevant stakeholders and escalate where appropriate in line with escalation process.
• Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals and track resource hours expended on the project.
• Provide project progress and forecast reports as directed by the Senior management team and key stakeholders.
3. Effective and efficient management of resources.
• Identify and engage required resources, ensuring that expectations are known, managed and fulfilled within the project constraints.
• Manage resources effectively and efficiently to ensure the budget and project plan objectives are met.
• Identify the need for additional staff and / or consultants and recommend to the senior management team and Head of Human Resources.
• Conduct performance evaluations with project team members and provide coaching / mentoring as required during the course of the project.
• Pro-actively identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team
• Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
4. Continuous Improvement
• Conduct project reviews to assess outcomes of projects, against established baselines, and to evaluate effectiveness of project management practices.
• Lead or participate in internal improvement initiatives.
• Document and publish all lessons learned.
5. Leading and managing high performing team.
• Improve communication skills and capability of Service Delivery Team.
• Ensure Service Delivery department work with other departments to deliver timely and informative reports.
• Motivate the Service Delivery team by effectively communicating goals, performance expectations (KPIs), policies and procedures and ensuring staff are suitable trained or skilled to meet the demands of their roles and hold them accountable.
• Drives high performance in the team through managing and coaching the team, prioritise work to meet outcomes, monitor workloads, reviews performance and provide quality feedback to staff and senior management.
• Develop positive attitude within and across the department
• Develop teamwork within and across the department
• Ensure effective succession planning and delegation.
• Facilitates regular team meetings to discuss issues, share knowledge, share achievements, provide training and direction.
6. Ensures compliance with . values, policies and standards, and ensures compliance will all local statutory requirements
• Complies with all local legislative requirements.
• Adheres to company policies and procedures and the corporate Code of Conduct.
• Where appropriate keeps up to date with legislative requirements through membership of industry organisations.
• Ensures personal adherence to workplace health and safety requirements and either addresses or brings to management’s attention when others are in breach of these requirements.
Acts in an ethical way when dealing with company assets and other people.
7. Customer Service. (Develop and implement the customer service strategy of exceeding the expectations of every customer on every visit).
• Develop a customer focused culture by consulting with and engaging team members on ways to improve the company’s service levels and recognizing the desired behavior.
• Identify service gaps and establish programs to address the gaps.
• Empower service delivery team, to solve problems and through team development and delegation of authority.
• Ensure customer satisfaction through the delivery of consistent standards of service and products
• Ensure prompt resolution of customer complaints and review feedback to continually improve support services across all departments.
• Obtain the planned customer service initiatives and average expenditure objectives.
• Assist in driving the customer loyalty strategy of the company and ensuring team members have a strong education of the desired program.
12. Other Roles
• Review the project proposal, budget, targets, key performance indicators and ensure that the planning is realistic (Measurable, Reportable & Verifiable), both in terms of budget and implementation.
• Work with the concerned staff and, projects/departments to ensure effective implementation of the project.
• Review projects implementation plan to ensure that these are realistic, both in terms of budget and overall project plan.
8. Skills Required:
• Creates a climate where people want to do their best.
• Delegates effectively.
• Invites input from individuals & shares ownership & visibility.
• Makes each individual feel his/her work is important Leadership
• Uses a variety of interpersonal styles & methods to develop, inspire & empower individuals or groups toward achievement of business goals.
• Works in a collaborative way with others.
• Demonstrates interpersonal skills & self-awareness.
• Expresses ideas & information in an accurate, relevant and timely manner utilising a two-way communication approach.
• Demonstrates the ability to interpret and convey information for their particular audience. This includes responding to audience feedback & adapting their approach.
• Keeps people informed.
• Demonstrates openness, honesty & consistency in behaviour.
• Can be relied upon. Generates confidence in others through professional & ethical behaviour
• Proactively asserts influence over events to achieve goals.
• Demonstrates a readiness to generate ideas & solutions.
• Is self-starting & takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required.
• Enjoys working hard.
• Demonstrates energy & drive for things seen as challenging.
• Is not fearful of taking action & seizes more opportunities than others. Adaptability & Responding to Change
• Receptive to change, makes positive use of the opportunities change initiatives present, is not knocked off balance by the unexpected
• Keeps up with the speed of change, has the flexibility to adapt to different situations at the time they are encountered
• Adaptable, tolerant of ambiguity, works well without clear structure, and is comfortable with changes to process and policies
9. Coping with Pressure
• Can be relied upon to maintain a consistent and stable approach, demonstrates patience and perseverance to work through tough times and does not show frustrations when restricted or blocked.
• Self-disciplined, maintains a positive approach at work and handles difficulties in a professional manner.
Resilient, copes well with stress and pressure, remains calm, composed and does not become defensive or irritated when experiencing difficulties.
Negotiating and influencing skills.
• Understanding of risk management systems and practice.
Critical Relationships: (key internal staff to work with to deliver role): CEO, Operations Team,