Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV Format [Download via the following link:https://www.ippfar.org/sites/ippfar/files/IPPF ARO - CV Form .docx] and a 1-page cover letter.
Please note that we will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
“Applications are particularly encouraged from women, persons living with disability, and candidates openly living with HIV.”
IPPF has been made aware of various fraudulent vacancy announcements circulated via e-mail from websites falsely stating that they are issued by or in association with IPPF. These correspondences, which may seek to obtain money from the recipients of such correspondence are fraudulent and IPPF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
NB: Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV format (see download link above) and a 1-page cover letter. Please note that we will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
Job Title: Specialist: Proposal Development and Writing
Department: External Relations and Communications
Reports to: Lead Specialist: Grants Management and Proposal Writing
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date: 30 October 2020
1. JOB PURPOSE
The postholder will be tasked to prepare and write proposals by determining concept, gathering and formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining approvals. S/he shall determine proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs), and attending strategy meetings.
S/he shall ensure that the Regional Office has the ability to raise required adequate resources to meet its programme delivery.
2. KEY TASKS
• Meets proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates
for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal,
• Enters and monitors tracking data;
• Coordinates requirements with contributors and contributes proposal status information to review meetings;
• Gathers proposal information by identifying sources of information, coordinating submissions and collections, and identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals;
• Develops proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation;
• Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials;
• Prepares presentation by evaluating text, graphics, and binding and coordinating printing;
• Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases;
• Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project managers;
• Improves proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach and coordination;
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; maintaining personal networks;
• Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments;
• Create and manage Compliance Matrix and lead compliance reviews and provides compliance feedback to the Lead Specialist and bidding teams;
Processes and team engagement
• Develops proposal response templates in alignment with corporate branding and in compliance with Restricted Funding Project (RFP) requirements;
• Manages opportunity SharePoint site including providing access to users, uploading and maintaining solicitation document, managing templates, etc;
• Manages Past Performance repository ensuring that all past performance is accurate and up-to-date.; Collaborates with Operations staff and Proposal Management / Capture staff to rewrite past performance in response to specific solicitation requirements;
• Manage resumes for solicitations including creating resume templates and transferring information to resume templates for inclusion in proposals;
• Provides primary support for data call responses including organisational logo and serve as primary point of contact for submissions;
• Performs comprehensive quality checks of proposal documents including formatting, headers and footers, page numbering, figure numbers, etc.;
• Coordinates and participate in proposal meetings including taking detailed notes of meetings, publishing notes to SharePoint and providing notes to proposal team;
• Monitors solicitation sites for updates to solicitations including amendments, Q&A, and other updates;
• Provides desktop publishing support as necessary to prepare proposal documents for reviews and submissions;
• Coordinates and manages print production including creating tabs, covers, table of contents and other sections; printing and hard copy production; shipping preparation; book and quality checks as part of fundraising efforts;
• Facilitates departmental proposal related meetings as requested and provide additional support to the Lead Specialist on variety of tasks as assigned and requested;
• S/he shall embrace safeguarding as well as all organisational policies;
• To undertake any other duties as may be requested by supervisor.
PROFESSIONALISM: Understanding of the work of IPPFARO in the field resource mobilisation and donor relations, partnership building, SRHR and Human rights and communications. Understanding the diversity of multi, bilateral and private sector funding mechanisms. Experience in to developing project proposals and managing grants as well as their closure and evaluation. Strong experience in donor relations and partnership building; strong financial management experience; strong understanding of donor requirements and knowledge of the donor community. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of IPPF mandate, particularly in the areas of advocacy, communications, public relations and partnership building. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. Experience in working team with different backgrounds and experience across several locations.
LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
• MA Degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Social Science and/or other related relevant fields.
3. WORK EXPERIENCE
• At least 5 year’ experience in grant writing, business development, prospect research and general fundraising
• Expert level experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite (PDF creation and revision), creation and administration of SharePoint sites
• Experience in graphics design (Adobe Illustrator) is a plus.
English and French are the working languages of the ARO. For this post fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
• Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a desk review and/or an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
6. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Experience working in a multicultural environment.
• Willing to work outside standard office hours as required.
• Willing to travel internationally – about 30 days a year.