The overall objective of the National Sales Manager is to drive the National customer strategy of Topline Revenue, Profit, including spend management, 5Ps & Working Capital. The role must lead the achievement of customer strategy through their Sales Representatives team and in close partnership with the Category and Channel Development functions. On a longer-term basis, the NSM is responsible for developing a strategic partnership with the Top Customers, thereby strengthening our client’s positions in their categories and optimising all aspects of the commercial relationship.
The role has leadership responsibility for making key strategic and business recommendations, managing the relationship at a senior level & store level within the customer organisation, and leading and developing the sales team. The NSM plays a key role within the country’s trade sales leadership team.
• Lead the developing and managing long term customer strategy and relationship
• Managing and developing our client’s position as a key partner/supplier to major customers.
• Contributing to the overall sales and commercial strategy and objectives of the country business whilst managing annual sales budget for his/her account as well as develop operating plans to ensure achievement of annual performance goals.
• Insights and Actions ownership from data-based analysis of performance to achieve required growth objectives in revenue, coverage and distribution
• Achieving/exceeding all key sales measures and targets for the Traditional Trade & Tier 2 Supermarkets (revenue, profit, 5Ps, effective trade spends utilisation)
• Leading the organization development and management of the Distributors’ businesses of Kenya covering specific geographies or regions.
• Working in close partnership with the marketing and trade marketing functions to ensure development and implementation of customer category strategy and best in class 5P execution
• Recommending the customer promotion, pricing and product launch plans, ensuring excellent implementation from the distributor team.
• Coaching and assisting where necessary in the customer negotiations of the Distributor Sales Representatives.
• Leading and developing the General Trade Team which includes career development of direct reports and indirect reports.
• Manage distributors sales force to ensure 5P execution at store level
• Implements people and organization development programs and processes.
• To take on other assigned tasks as needed
• Ensure adherence to corporate and departmental policies
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Graduate degree, MBA preferred.
• Proven track record in Sales Management with major customers in both Wholesale and Modern Trade
• At least 2 to 3 years experience in FMCG Sales within a regional/national leadership role
• Experience of influencing and engaging senior management in own and customer organisations
• Experience of leading multi-function teams
• Additional functional experience, preferably in Marketing, Trade Marketing and/or Finance is an advantage
• Highly analytical and numerate
• Fluent in English & Kiswahili
• Intermediate in IT skills