• Sourcing the right equipment from the supplier list given.
• Preparation of import documentation such as certificate of origin.
• Ensure that cargo is handed over to the correct handling agent.
• Calculating and processing duties and taxes to be paid.
• Handling Sales team queries in imports and updating them on the shipment status.
• Tracking shipments estimated time of arrival.
• Attain a seamless flow of all sea/Air freight documentation.
• Perform accurate and timely declaration upon receipt of all clearing documents from the forwarding company to eliminate delays and avoid customs offences
• Liaise with suppliers for timely shipments, follow up for documents to be received and goods cleared well in time to avoid late documentation charges and storage charges.
• Allocating the correct license depending on type of goods being imported.
• Data Quality-Ensure accurate declaration to evade customs and other statutory bodies penalties
• To carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the Management from time to time.
Requirements for the Declaration Clerk Job
- Degree/Diploma in Logistics, Clearing and Forwarding or Shipping.
- 2-3 Years’ experience as a Custom Declaration Clerk.
- This role demands a thorough understanding of the law, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, political processes and agency rules.
- Strong communication skills are vital in this role both written and verbally.
- Negotiation skills – Ability to negotiate for better rates with clearing agents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Team player and result oriented.
- Excellent Microsoft office skills
- Knowledge of sage system will be added advantage.