Reports to: Group CEO and Acting Managing Director
JOB PURPOSE & SUMMARY
The Head of Sales and Marketing shall lead the sales and marketing functions through well-established sales growth strategies and drive performance of the team to collectively achieve set targets. He/ She shall manage key relationships on behalf of the business and have a high level of engagement with external partners. He / She shall set and communicate the business units KPI’s, under guidance of the MD, that are aligned to organisations objectives.
The role is a channel management role and requires management of the retail partnership channel.
The company, which currently focuses on Nairobi and Mombasa as its main geographic locations, partners with a large number of furniture, consumer electronic and mobile phone retailers across Kenya.
A key component of the role is relationship management and relationship building with the company’s retail partners. The expectation is that the Head of Sales & Marketing will own the relationships with CEO and Executive teams of the key retail partners, build further on those relationships, as well as develop new partnership relationships in Kenya.
Given the nature of the role requires management of a relatively large “in-field” sales team, people management skills are also a critical component of the role.
We are looking for an empathetic leader with the humility required to interact with respect towards all level of employees, as well as having to manage the relationships with small CBD owner-managed stores as well senior executives of Kenya’s largest retailers.
- Define annual sales strategy and budget
- Ensure profitable growth in sales/ loan disbursements in-line with plan
- Relationship ownership and management of retail partners
- Ensure optimal sales force productivity of Sales Managers and Field Agents
- Well defined sales targets for each retail partner and territory
- Effective sales deployment: channel & resource mix; territory deployment; optimal resources per account; clearly defined Sales Manager and Field Agent accountabilities
- Customer engagement model: ensure continually enhance: The company’s customer value proposition; lead generation & qualification; and client retention
- Sales execution: effective account planning process and continuous sales process optimization
- Ensure that sales KPIs are clearly communicated to sales team and are regularly monitored
- Ensure that sales team incentives are ambitious but achievable and aligned with sales goals
- Ensure that The company attracts good talent with clear career development paths and management systems supporting development and talent retention
THE KEY AREAS OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE SHOULD INCLUDE:
- At least 5 years’ Executive Management Sales experience
- Accountability or oversight of Marketing is advantageous
- Ideally at least 15 years’ experience in Sales roles
- Ideally 10 to 15 years’ experience in financial services or FMCG sales, preference is insurance
- Proven leadership at project and business level, including sales & P&L accountability
- Preferably has had accountability for sales across geographic territories in Kenya
- Sales roles must have included B2B account relationship accountabilities and retail client focus
- In-depth knowledge of the Kenyan retail/ commercial environment, particularly the electronics, furniture and ecommerce sectors
- Relevant degree in Management or Business. Strong demonstrated academic performance at university
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Educational and technical: Analytical and quantitative thinker; Good understanding of credit risk, operational risk, processes and operations; Planning, including strategic plans, budgets,
- Behavioural skills: Customer oriented; Strong communicator and collaborator; Team orientation; Ability to build strong & collaborative B2B partner relationships
- Personal skills: Strategic; strong problem solver; Execution orientation; Negotiation and Conflict management