Senior Programme Management Officer, P5 at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Product & Project Management
Advanced university degree (masters degree or equivalent) in environmental sciences, natural resources, economics or environmental management or a related field is required.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:10 years
- 1. Leadership and management of Global Environmental Monitoring Unit, Data Collection and Analysis as per the programme of work of the Big Data Branch within the Science Division. Ensure, the full integration of global environmental monitoring data collection and analysis within the World Environment Situation Room - UNEP Data, Information and Knowledge platform:
- Developing the strategic approach to the work of the Unit aimed to deliver the relevant mandates of the Big Data Branch, the Science Division and UNEP in a context of sustainable development and supervise the staff to implement the relevant activities;
- Planning, co-coordinating and mobilizing resources to implement programmes and activities related to global environmental monitoring, data collection and analysis and early warning services, working with partner institutions and networks of experts that will enhance the scientific credibility of UNEP's Data programme;
- Implementing methods and procedures to integrate and analyse global, regional and national Global Environmental Monitoring Systems (GEMs), data quality and trends of environmental conditions as an element of integrated data analysis and early warning services;
- Developing and co-ordinating global and regional technical and scientific co-operation networks in the areas of global environmental monitoring, data analysis, comprising: scientific institutions, governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations in UN regions, intergovernmental organizations active in the field of relevant thematic assessments as mechanisms for co-operation and consultation for the production of global and regional thematic environmental data analysis and monitoring systems;
- Initiating and maintaining agreements, processes and procedures with specialized scientific institutions as well as governmental and intergovernmental structures involved in thematic data analysis of global significance;
- • As necessary and appropriate, integrating the scientific thematic global environmental monitoring processes with the Data Collection and Analysis, monitoring, capacity building, technical co- operation activities of the Big Data Branch, Division and in close cooperation with UNEP's divisions, strategic partners and relevant national, international organizations' and programmes.
- Liaise through the Big Data Branch and Science Division arrangements with the UN system agencies and with other international and non-governmental organisations and national focal points with respect to intergovernmental assessments activities, focused environmental Data collection and analysis, environmental monitoring and early warning services, programmes and outputs, capacity building and broker partnerships and collaboration:
- Prepare and organize intergovernmental, interagency and expert meetings required to implement the work of the Unit and of the Big Data Branch;
- Participate as requested and approved by the Chief of Big Data Branch, in international scientific advisory groups and speak at seminars, symposia and other meetings.
- Oversee and contribute to the preparation of outputs and reports;
- Oversee the preparation of project documents, Memoranda of Understanding, identify and supervise consultants, staff and interns in support of the above;
- Oversee the implementation of the Programme of work and budget planning, reporting and evaluation; Assume the overall leadership of the Global Environmental Monitoring within the Big Data Branch, oversee and be accountable for the implementation of the Programme of Work and budget planning, reporting and evaluation.
- Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
- Support and contribute to the overall programme of work of the Big Data Branch, the programme planning and evaluation and perform other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction by promoting sustainable human settlement development and related programmes, policies and strategies. Demonstrated ability to provide expert advisory services and developing and supervising the execution of priority projects and programmes in a cost effective and efficient manner. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks at the regional and national level. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- JUDGEMENT AND DECISION-MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (masters degree or equivalent) in environmental sciences, natural resources, economics or environmental management or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience maybe accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, environmental monitoring and reporting, data collection and analysis, planning, resource management, capacity building, partnership development or related area is required.
- At least five (5) years experience of progressive responsibility at the national, regional and international level is desirable
- Experience in the United Nations system or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Deadline: 06 June 2023
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured