Seeking a passionate gender lead with 5+ years of experience to design and implement tailored interventions to improve equity in access and benefit for young women across the Tupande programme.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 5 years
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
Empowering women farmers must be integral to any solution to extreme hunger and poverty -- yet at present, women in Africa have less access to agricultural productive resources and services, achieve only 20-30% of the farm yields as men, and have less control over household decisions and income. These gender-based structural roadblocks inflict cascading negative consequences for women, their families, and society.
In Kenya, we are looking for a passionate Gender Lead to review and inform our strategy, and to design and implement tailored interventions to improve equity in access and benefit for young women across the Tupande programme model. Reporting to the Director of Product Strategy, you will shape our thinking and contribution to gender transformation and build a strategy that helps us deliver improved outcomes for rural women in Kenya.
- Conduct programme review and gender inclusion assessment:
- Leverage outputs from recent gender inclusion assessment work in Kenya; review the Tupande programme model to identify constraints faced by young rural women for equitable access to- and benefit from - Tupande’s multichannel service offering.
- Identify opportunities for strengthening components of the Tupande programme including farmer training, digital offerings, crop commercialisation work, and micro-enterprise opportunities to increase the engagement and advancement of young rural women.
- Build gender vision and strategy:
- Building from the gender inclusion assessment and programme review, and utilizing targeted formative research, develop a country-level gender roadmap which addresses the barriers faced by young women smallholders and ensures Tupande’s farmer-facing work contributes to gender equity, equality, and empowerment of women.
- Design gender transformative initiatives:
- Use gender inclusion, formative and other research to design and implement specific interventions and program modifications tailored to the unique constraints, needs and priorities of female smallholders, ensuring integration of a gender lens across Tupande’s programme offering.
- Provide strategic and technical support to co-design gender transformative initiatives to maximize returns for rural women.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
- Work with our Impact and Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) teams to determine and track an informative set of gender-related outcomes against dedicated programme initiatives.
- In collaboration with MEL, provide thought partnership to support effective gender-disaggregation of existing data to monitor potential gender impact.
- Support reporting and budget management
- Collaborate with implementation leads, and internal stakeholders to compile quarterly donor reports on activities, outputs, and outcomes.
- Develop and monitor budget utilization status of the project; work with Grants Finance to track budget-vs-actuals and financial reporting.
- Lead gender mainstreaming
- Provide thought partnership to organizational leadership to build gender capacity across the organization and promote decision-making that prioritizes gender representation throughout the organization.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree, Masters Degree preferred (in public health, adolescent/youth services, gender, social science or related discipline)
- 5+ years of relevant experience leading complex field programs in Sub-Saharan Africa developing gender equality strategy/gender programming. Speficially, experience working with female smallholders and understanding of the socio-cultural and other barriers rural women face.
- Project and stakeholder management abilities, including defining goals, prioritizing tasks, and offering technical advice to support gender-focused results.
- Experience conducting rapid gender-sensitive research or collating existing data to produce reports to inform organizational decision-making.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Nairobi, Kisumu, Kakamega, Kenya
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
3 years with the possibility of extension
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Kenya
05 November 2023
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured