The Water Supply assistant will work closely with the field monitors and WASH officer to ensure uninterrupted water supply in the camp and settlement.
- Minimum Qualification:Diploma
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:2 years
Location of activity: Kakuma, Turkana County.
Duration: 11 Months(February 2023 - December 2023)
Direct supervisor: WASH Officer.
About Peace Winds Japan
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH, food security, livelihood and logistics support to improve health and living environments of refugees and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance among the people affected by natural or human made disasters in and adjacent of Dadaab refugee complex, Kakuma refugee camp and Kalobeyei Integrated Settlement.
PWJ is a UNHCR partner responsible for WASH, warehouse management, motor vehicle service unit, centralized fleet and fuel management for Kakuma Camp Refugee Operations.
Purpose of the position
The Water Supply assistant will work closely with the field monitors and WASH officer to ensure uninterrupted water supply in the camp and settlement.He/she will be responsible for monitoring water distribution network, supervising community-based incentive workers and national staff to ensure that the water reticulation system is properly operated and maintained and that potable water is supplied to all households and institutions in the camp/settlement.He/she will support the WASH officer in facilitating capacity building sessions for the water supply team,WASH committees and community leaders.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordination and supervision of incentive plumbers in routine pipeline operation – maintenance and leakage management
- Coordination and supervision of gate valve operators; monitoring ESTs and water point access.
- Supervision of CBOs in monitoring pipeline trenching and laying of pipes.
- Water quality monitoring at household level and at tap stand levels.
- Monitoring routine maintenance and servicing of Boreholes.
- Boreholes data management and BH/EST compound maintenance.
- Monitoring water supply in institutions(schools,reception centers) and agency compounds within the camp.
- Conduct water supply outreach awareness campaigns or community Barazas on water hygiene; water management.
- Provide water supply schedules to block leaders; school; agencies and institutions.
- Work together with WASH committees, community leadership in the field in identification of problematic areas in the water reticulation systems with a view of providing a durable solution.
- Collaborate with other agencies’ staff to ensure smooth service delivery.
- Certification of completed jobs/works for purposes of preparation of payments to vendors /contractor
- Ensure filing of supporting activity documentations.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities assigned by the supervisor.
- Diploma in water engineering, water technology from a recognized institution
- Knowledge of SPHERE ,WHO and national quality standards
- Be a registered/licensed member of the relevant body
- Minimum 1.5 years relevant work experience in the area of WASH.
- Experience working in the humanitarian setting is an added advantage.
- Experience in capacity building for community own resource persons or community based staff
- Experience in intervention projects with strong community involvement
- Experience in partner and stakeholder coordination
- Experience in designing and implementing social and behavior change communication
Skills and competencies
- Ability to observe and understand cultural and social contexts and reflect the understandings in programing
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Strong community engagement and facilitation skill
- Ability to infuse positive energy to the team
- Attention to detail, keen at following procedures and meeting deadlines
- Ability to organize tasks simultaneously and prioritize work
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills working with cross cultural and multi diverse teams
- Ability to build strong working relationships for partnerships
- Standards of Professional Conduct especially on integrity, service, and accountability
How to apply
This position is based in Kakuma Camp Turkana County, Kenya.
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 19th January, 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post.
N/B Indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of the email as “WATER SUPPLY ASSISTANT”. Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured