Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The Policy and Programme Division (PPD) is a center of excellence for strategic guidance and programmatic policy for UNEP. PPD enables UNEP’s strategic and programmatic direction, ensuring organization-wide coherence and effectiveness in implementation and continuous improvement.
This position is located in the Gender and Safeguards Unit of the Policy and Programme Division at the Nairobi Duty Station. The incumbent will report to the head of the Gender and Safeguards Unit and will be responsible for the following duties:
• Research and communicate the latest resources that are relevant to UNEP’s gender and safeguard policy formulation and implementation.
• Works with project managers of UNEP to facilitate their incorporation of gender and safeguard requirements in project development and implementation; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of gender and safeguards practices; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
• Communicate and share knowledge on UNEP’s gender policy and strategy and Environmental and Social Safeguards Framework (ESSF)-related issues for improved compliance and awareness. This will entail regular and prompt communication with the gender focal points, Safeguard Advisory Group, Divisions and Regional Offices, UN agencies and member states.
• Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposing participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other duties as required.
An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics, social science or related fields is required.
A first level university degree ( Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in the same fields in combination with two (2) additional years of relevant qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in project / programme management or related area is required.
Experience in implementing environmental programmes or projects is desirable.
Experience with UN system, governmental or non-governmental institutions implementing projects / programmes addressing gender and safeguard issues is desirable.
A minimum of one (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable (none if successful YPP or P-1 with a related degree).
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: ''Fluency'' equals a rating of ''fluent'' in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ''Knowledge of'' equals a rating of ''confident'' in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Special Notice United Nations Considerations No Fee
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured