Reporting to: Engineering manager - Scrum Master
Hours: 8:00 - 17:00, Monday- Friday and beyond when required
Location: Nairobi preferred
Our Client is a market leader in unsecured working capital solutions with a significant presence across multiple African countries. We empower micro and small businesses in Sub-Saharan Africa to grow and succeed by providing instant access to credit that unlocks business growth.
Our products blend business credit with financial education to maximize the credit’s impact for business owners, and all are managed and delivered through our proprietary core banking platform.
Company Purpose: To Unlock Human Potential for Good
Company Mission: Maximise shared value with digital solutions for financial growth in order to create better lives
Company Vision: The first choice for MSME growth in Africa
We are looking for an experienced Full Stack Java/Kotlin/React Developer, with experience in distributed systems (microservices), and who is able to help design and develop robust, highly performant and scalable applications. Must have good SQL knowledge, troubleshooting skills and excellent collaboration and leadership skills. Knowledge of web based technologies such as React is also required. Must be familiar with the Agile process, SCRUM ceremonies and be in a position to work from home and the office in Nairobi. The position reports to the SCRUM master.
Responsibilities & duties
● Write clean code to develop functional web applications
● Collaborate with leaders, product owners, IT architects, technical leads and other developers, along with internal customers, to understand requirements and develop needs according to business requirements
● Lead, Coach and bring in new ideas and present to the team
● Write Unit tests with JUnit
● Participate in the entire application lifecycle, focusing on coding and debugging
● Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability
● Troubleshoots and debugs complex issues; identifies and implements solutions
● Researches and implements new technologies to enhance current processes, security, and performance
● Supports the development of coding standards and adheres to best practices and security guidelines
● Works closely with software architects and technical leads to ensure decisions meet long-term enterprise growth needs
● Maintains and enhances existing enterprise services, applications, and platforms using domain driven design and test-driven development
● Follow emerging technologies and adapting them to the current technology stack
● Accurately estimate timings and have the ability to deliver based on those timings
Work experience & skills
● 6+ years’ Java / Kotlin development experience with excellent design pattern skills
● 3+ years front end design and development experience with React
● Proficiency in Java 8 / Kotlin, Gradle, Springframework, Springboot, RESTful web services
● Strong understanding of microservice architecture
● Experience in relational database design
● Solid understanding of SQL
● Solid understanding of AWS
● Understanding of messaging systems (JMS, SQS, Kafka)
● Understanding accessibility and security compliance on cross platform systems
● Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
● Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git and SVN
● Proficient understanding of OWASP security principles and OAUTH for authentication of users and platforms
● Design, build and maintain advanced applications services.
● Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
● Must be able to demonstrate strong problem analysis and problem-solving skills and solutions orientated.
● Experience in Agile methodologies, such as SCRUM & Kanban
Personal qualities & behavioral traits
● Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, employing effective time management and organizational skills
● High quality collaboration and communication skills, lots of positive energy required.
● Ability to work independently and as a team to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
● Passion for learning new data analysis methods and tools
● Excellent critical thinking skills
● Commitment to self-improvement.
● A passion for software development
● To be friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
● Have a high tolerance for working under pressure.
● Team player: works in a collaborative and cooperative manner with colleagues and external partners.
● Maintain the ability to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
● Must be flexible to working overtime/weekends when necessary.
● Excellent analytical and time management skills
● Teamwork skills with a problem-solving attitude
Academic & trade qualifications
● Degree in Computer Science or related field
● 6+ years’ Java / Kotlin development experience
● 3+ years’ React development experience
CTO & Architect: Architecture, application design, vision
SCRUM Master: Direct line manager, who will offer ongoing support and supervision
Performance review period
Initial 6-month probation. Upon successful completion of the probation period