HJFMRI – REGIONAL OFFICE, KENYA
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation Medical Research International (HJFMRI) provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to global medical research programs. Through funding agreements with the US Government and other donors, HJFMRI provides administrative support for research activities related to HIV, malaria, TB and other infectious diseases. HJFMRI Africa Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya has a vacancy for an Accountant. The position reports to the Senior Regional Accountant, HJFMRI Regional Office.
1. Perform day-to-day accounting and financial operations for the Regional Office to ensure timely monthly closings and reconciliations.
2. Manage general ledger entries including accounts payables, receivables, travel advances and liquidations, and wire transfers
3. Support banking and Treasury management function, including initiation of payments on the banking platform, reviewing support documents to ensure adequacy and completeness before payment is submitted for authorization.
4. Provides support during internal and external audit activity, ensuring sampled documents are correctly identified, retrieved, and properly reviewed for completeness before submission to auditors.
5. Prepares monthly balance sheet reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts, in compliance with monthly closing schedule.
6. Assist with the preparation of routine and ad hoc financial reports as requested by Senior Regional Accountant and the Regional Accounting Manager.
7. Maintain proper records of all accounting transactions including digital records of monthly payment vouchers as per SOP
8. Respond to accounting issues, concerns, and questions in a timely manner to ensure smooth and efficient operations and reporting.
9. Other duties as assigned or as otherwise required to successfully manage HJFMRI’s regional financial support
1. University degree in Accounting from a recognized institution.
2. Professional accounting certification, such as CPA, ACCA is highly desired.
3. A minimum of 3 years working experience in a busy accounting environment preferred.
4. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft office applications.
5. Must have strong knowledge and understanding of Kenya statutory reporting requirements and regulations.
6. Must have hands-on experience working with accounting software package.
7. Must have knowledge and experience within other accounting areas and bookkeeping.
8. Must have strong understanding of internal controls and confidentiality matters.
9. Must have familiarity with audit and compliance requirements of US Government funded projects..
10. Work experience within a medical research setting is preferred.
1. Team player with high integrity, excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and decision-making skills.
2. Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
3. Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
4. Excellency in reporting skills and ability to comprehend and analyze data.
5. Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a multi-cultural environment.
Interested applicants must send a soft copy of a cover letter, resume with a list of references to email@example.com on or before June 22, 2021. Applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted